Saturday, May 24, 2008

How I Learned I Was a Moron

For the life of me, I can't figure out why Pacific Park in Santa Monica replaced its solar powered ferris wheel with a new solar powered ferris wheel, but this time one with LED lights.

I'm told it's because the new one is 75% more energy efficient.  But...it's...solar...powered.  Why do I care how energy efficient it is as long as it stays off the grid?  Doesn't greenness then move to the cost of manufacturing a new ferris wheel, not to mention shipping the old one?  Or the chemicals used in manufacturing the 160,000 LEDs used in the new wheel?

My brain is on fire.  Can not compute.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why is the title for this post "How I Learned I Was A Moron"? Almost as dumb as your arguments that Han was in suspended animation, when anyone would clearly know he was FROZEN IN CARBONITE

Anonymous said...

The old wheel was solar powered but the lights on the wheel weren't. They were incandescent lights that used up a lot of energy.

Also, the wheel wasn't replaced just because they wanted a greener one. The older one was deteriorating after years of sitting on a pier and being assaulted by the salty sea air.