Wednesday, March 10, 2004

This is why I honestly think there will be a democratic blow-out in November

This is the worst presidency in the history of my 39 years (some historians say it's the worst in the history of the U.S, but I don't know enough about, say, Millard Fillmore to confidently make that statement), and I don't mean that in a conservative-bashing way; I mean that in a stupidity-bashing way.

B*** and Co. (the Mayberry Machiavellis) have subverted all policy to politics. The result has been a cascade of real, definable, understandable negatives in all our lives (deficits, job losses, the failure to secure Iraq post-war). So many of our current problems are not left-right oriented, and so many are directly pinnable on Administration choices (I won't use the word "policies!"), that I honestly don't believe B*** can win.

But I will hand one thing to B***: his complete disavowal of policy as one of the (chief?) tools of politics has proven that policy matters; that what a government chooses to do makes a difference. A Gore presidency (ironically, considering his reputation as a policy wonk) would never have done that.

This is good and apropos.

No comments: