Wednesday, February 04, 2004

Privacy, please.

Tivo reports (link is a PDF) aggregrate data back to its mothership about what part of a show is viewed.  Privacy advocates cry foul.

I say, "Cool."

I've said it to friends (and been roundly criticized), so I might as well repeat it here:

The more anonymous data marketers are allowed to gather about me, the happier I am.  I want things designed for ME.  I want a website that KNOWS what I like.  I don't want that information tied to my social security number or anything, but as long as it's essentially anonymous, I'm HAPPY with data collection.

Basically, I believe that each of us should develop a singular, pseudonymous identity.  A proxy ID.  Manufacturers and sellers of products, services and information could collect as much information as they want from that proxy, and all the proxies could be linked to form communities of like-minded purchasers.

The problem is that now, we have no delineation between the proxy presence and the real presence.  That is, I may have a presence on Amazon.com, or on Netflix.com.  These sites collect information on what I like and what I buy.  Based on that information, they recommend other things I like.  This is a good thing.

But they also collect and save non-proxy information, like my physical address and credit card information.

This is a bad thing.

Boy have I been yelled at for holding this belief.  But I think we need to start re-defining privacy in this age of inevitable collection.

[Now Playing: Gillian Welch - One More Dollar (04:35)]

No comments: